Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chiney Ogwumike, Malcom Jenkins, Auggie Singh...and the notebook

During my first time around as a sportswriter I loved days when I had a notes section. So many times I covered an event or wrote a feature and there were great quotes or things observed that would never have gotten into the paper without this dedicated space.

Now that I am back in the game I have not had this luxury. Over the past few weeks some nuggets have stayed in the notebook and I haven’t been able to share.
So, I thought I’d use this space to share some outtakes from my interviews—high school, college, and pros.
I hope you enjoy these!
December 6, Auggie Singh, San Jose Mercury News high school field hockey player of the year

Auggie and her red bandana.
Photo courtesy of Sergio and Patricia Singh.
Senior Auggie Singh led Archbishop Mitty to a California Central Coast Section championship over Los Gatos by scoring the lone goal. Over the course of the season, she scored 30 times and chipped in 8 assists.
Auggie shared what’s with that red bandana:
“Yes, I have been wearing the SAME red bandana since I was nine! My parents were inspired by a national Argentinean field hockey player, Vanino Oneto, who also wore a red bandana. They got me one and ever since then, it’s been like my trademark and my lucky charm. I had started doing pretty well with it as a kid and have carried it with me, and plan to wear it throughout my field hockey career. I wear it to all of my tournaments and games, and it is just always something I rely on and something to set me apart from others.”
November 25, the Long Beach State-Stanford women’s basketball game
This was Stanford’s first game after they earned the No. 1 ranking. They defeated Long Beach State 77-41. 
At the time Chiney Ogwumike had earned player of the week honors from both the Pac-12 and espnW.
“Rebounding against Chiney is extremely tough,” said Long Beach State coach Jody Wynn. “She is not just a great athlete, but she has a killer instinct, which separates the good from the great. And…she is a great player.”
Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer on senior Josyln Tinkle, who led all Cardinal scorers in this game with 18 points: “Jos likes to score. She never met a basket she didn’t like.”
November 18, the New Orleans Saints-Oakland Raiders game
Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins picked off a pass from Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer and ran it back 55 yards for a touchdown. It was his first interception in nearly two years.
“When we have fun, we make plays,” said Jenkins, of why the then-ranked No. 32 defense in the league was starting to play better. “What comes first…the chicken or the egg? Do we have fun, then make plays or make plays and then have fun? We come in with the mindset to have fun and play well. We take advantage of every snap, every play.”