Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm Back!

I’m back. After a hiatus of nearly three months, I am back writing and in the game. Thanks for reading and sticking with me during this time.

Michael Jordan flying to the hoop.
Over the next few weeks you’ll see a flurry of activity in this space. Some things to stay tuned for are posts on the Olympics, former athletes, soccer, and some surprises.
I just had to use the phrase “I’m Back!” For Bulls fans these are some of the sweetest words we’ve ever heard. These were the words in Michael Jordan’s press release announcing that he was returning to the NBA and to the Bulls. His first game back at home was March 24, 1995, vs. the Orlando Magic. I was there. I was fortunate to have a good friend on the inside who told me weeks before that Michael was coming back and the exact date. My brother, Tom, and nephew, Josh, and I bought tickets to the game. We were part of the crowd that night and witnessed a special evening.

I was also there the day in 1998 when Sammy Sosa hit homers 61 and 62 in a 10-inning game against the Milwaukee Brewers, to tie Mark McGwire in that record breaking year. Well, technically I was on a rooftop on Sheffield Avenue across the street from Wrigley Field. Close enough. That day the crowd just cheered and didn’t want to leave.
Another I was there moment came in 2004 on the second to last day of the baseball season. I was at Dodger Stadium when the Dodgers beat their rivals, the SF Giants, to win the National League West pennant. Another day the crowd wouldn’t leave…we all waited and cheered and were the first to buy the locker room t-shirts and hats.

I know I have quite a few other moments…we all do. What are your I was there moments?